How to become a Visiting Scholar in Gender & Women’s Studies
The Department of Gender & Women’s Studies at the University of California, Berkeley is able to accommodate a limited number of visiting scholars each year to engage in significant independent research projects.
- Graduate students are eligible to apply as “Visiting Student Researchers” when they meet the following specifications: https://vspa.berkeley.edu/vsdef.html#Student
- US-based and international scholars are eligible to apply as “Visiting Scholars” when they meet the following specifications: https://vspa.berkeley.edu/vsdef.html#Scholar
The Application Process
All visiting scholars and visiting student researchers must receive an invitation from a GWS faculty member.
- Prospective visiting scholars and visiting student researchers who do not have an active collaboration in place with a GWS faculty member can look for a GWS faculty member whose research interests match their own. Faculty profiles can be found here.
- Once a scholar has identified a potential faculty sponsor, they should provide the faculty member with the following information via email:
- current CV
- brief description of intended research(length should be 200 words or less)
- beginning and end date for their visit
- If the scholar receives an invitation from the faculty member, the scholar should then contact Gillian Edgelow at email@example.com for details on the pre-arrival process.
For those scholars who do not receive an invitation, here are some other options for affiliation with UC Berkeley.
GWS Visiting Scholar Memorandum
There are several fees involved in the process of obtaining Visiting Scholar status at UC Berkeley. These fees must be paid upon arrival. Late payments are not possible. Please plan accordingly.
- $1,000 for department administrative fee if you are staying in excess of six months/$500 if you are staying six months or less
- $540 for the DS2019 host document for the J-1 Visa (there will also be a $180 SEVIS fee for the visa itself)
- $500 for University Services fee
NOTE: A department administrative fee reduction may be requested if a scholar is arriving without institutional support or where there is financial hardship. This request should be included with your application. Please note that the J-1 visa fee and University Services fee are both mandatory and cannot be waived.
Information Regarding Visas
Foreign visiting scholars will need to obtain a J-1 Visa to pursue their research in the Gender & Women’s Studies Department. J-1 Visas are obtained by the issuance of a DS-2019 (which is the “certificate of eligibility”). There are several steps to securing a J-1 Visa and each step takes time. Plan for the visa application process to take 3-4 months, depending upon your home country.
Please note: Documentation of an “objective measurement” of English language proficiency is required for all J-1 Exchange Visitors. Either a recognized English language test (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS, etc)
or signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school.
While we may be able to provide administrative advice, we ask that visiting scholars assume full responsibility for matters relating to visa applications, health insurance, housing and living expenses.
Visiting scholars have access to the University’s libraries and are given normal borrowing privileges. Visiting scholars do not have access to secretarial services, office space, office supplies, and generally do not have the use of telephones, fax or express mail services. Visiting scholars are often able to consult with faculty members interested in their field of study, and to participate in the intellectual life of the department by attending presentations and colloquia.
Visiting scholars in the Department of Gender and Women’s Studies will be given access to the following:
- Use of the department copier
- Use of the department scanner
- An email address @berkeley.edu
- A wireless connection to the internet
- A departmental mailbox
Visiting scholars must have adequate health insurance during the entirety of their appointment at UC Berkeley. For details, visit:
All questions about the GWS Visiting Scholar Program should be sent to:
Research Program Administrator